Swazi Mahewu (Pty) Limited (“Swazi Mahewu”) was established in March 2011. Its primary focus is on the production and distribution of Mahewu in Swaziland and the SADC region, trading under the “Mandla Mahewu” brand. Mahewu (also known as Mageu), is a traditional African non-alcoholic drink made from maize and sugar.
Its taste is derived predominantly from the lactic acid that is produced during fermentation.
Mahewu is available in the following 5 flavours:
Plain (traditional), Banana, Cream, Emabele and Pineapple.
How is Mandla Mahewu made:
Thin mealie pap (maize meal) is prepared with sugar and water, providing the inoculum of lactate-producing bacteria. The mixture is left to ferment, typically in a warm area. Pasteurization is done as to extend shelf-life.
Advantages of consuming Mandla Mahewu:Mahewu is low in high quality protein but high in carbohydrates making it an ideal source of energy. It provides health benefits that go beyond their nutritional content.
Some of these benefits include:
- Enhanced absorption of nutrients especially the B-vitamins (Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, B1, B2, B6, B12)
- Improved digestion: Some studies suggest that the healthy bacteria found in mahewu helps the body obtain much nutrition from the diet in general. In addition, they help to prevent constipation
- Increases milk supply in breast feeding mothers
- Great source of probiotics- live microorganisms that provide the gut with good bacteria. Probiotics have been credited with:
- Killing viruses and bacteria
- Fighting some tumors and leukemia
- Fighting vaginal infections and intestinal infections
- Preventing and alleviating diarrhea related illness across all ages of life (https://theafricanpotnutrition.com/2013/10/02/the-nutritional-benefits-of-mahewu/)